The Government has provided funding of £150 million per year through the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport for primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The above video was produced by Sport England showing how the funding can have an impact school improvement.
What is the Purpose of the Primary PE and Sport Premium?
The government’s PE and school sport VISION supported by national partners is:
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
The funding has been provided to ensure impact against the following OBJECTIVE:
- To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
- It is important to emphasise that the focus of spending must lead to long lasting impact against the vision (above) that will live on well beyond the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
For further information on the PE & Sport Primary Funding in Northumberland please contact Paul Woodall, Senior PE & School Sport Manager on 01670 822625.